I’ve remixed the track Pale Sun Rose by Matthew & The Atlas. I toured with them and Bear’s Den recently and this song was rarely not stuck in my head. All hardware synths on this one – lots of Korg Volca, C&G Pocket Piano, DSI Prophet 08, Korg MS20M.
I'm a musician and producer based in Brighton, UK. I've played synths, guitar, bass, trumpet and many other instruments on records by the likes of Laura Marling, James Holden, Bear's Den and Lucy Rose. My live session work has included playing with Timber Timbre, Broken Social Scene, Sarah Blasko, Olympia and Willy Mason. I also work as a musical director including arranging, scoring and programming with Ableton. Read more about me here.
Another remix – this time for Farao. It features some fantastic drumming by Magnús Trygvason Eliassen.
Very, very proud to be a part of the new Hamilton Yarns album, The Orchard. They’re one of my favourite bands and have made loads of fantastic and unique records. I played a bit of synth and guitar. You can hear and buy it here.
I made a remix for Landshapes, it was mostly made in the back of a van on motorways which probably steered me in the krautrock direction.
Before I got myself a Korg MS20 Mini, I really wanted to know more about the External Signal Processor (ESP) and how good it was at converting pitch from an instrument or voice into control voltage to power the synth. I was really pleased with how well it works and it required almost not tweaking to get there. Here’s a quick video showing how to do the simple patch:
– Guitar/mic/whatever else into the ESP ‘signal in’
– ESP CV Out into VCO 1+2 CV In
– ESP Trig Out into VCO 1+2 Trig In
and to get the guitar signal there as well:
– ESP Out (before or after the band pass filter) into EXT Signal In at the top
On this video I had the ESP Signal Level up full and the Threshold Level nearly full too.
Spending time tweaking the Low Cut and High Cut on the ESP would get this working even better.
Sorry for the bad camera angles!
This is just a quick update about a few things I’ve been working on recently, partly to remind myself:
- recorded some double bass for Fear of Men. Look out for their debut album proper in 2014. Also stood in on bass for them at Simple Things festival in Bristol. They write amazingly catchy perfect pop songs.
- I was honoured to get to contribute to the upcoming record from one of my all time favourite bands, Hamilton Yarns. I played a bit of guitar, vibraphone and synth.
- I’ve been working on the music for two plays by the brilliant playwright Annie Siddons. It’s been a fantastic new challenge for me and an absolute privilege to work with so many talented actors and the director Justin Audibert.
- Not sure what’s going to happen with them, but I’ve really enjoyed working on remixes for the likes of Landshapes, Nick Mulvey and Emiliana Torrini. Some time soon I’m going to put all my remixes online in one place.
- Have nearly finished the new Sons of Noel and Adrian record, I’m exceptionally proud of it. We recently enjoyed an inspiring little tour of Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia which has spurred us on. Ben Hampson is mixing it as we speak.
- I’ve just about finished my first solo album, thanks to a last minute recording session with the exceptional drummer Tom Heather.
- Played a couple of shows with the Moulettes, the God of Hell Fire himself Arthur Brown joined us on stage. Also played on their new record with an absolute all star cast.
- Did a tour with The Mariner’s Children supporting Bear’s Den, they were incredibly fun guys to tour with and I hope to do so again. They’re set for world domination in 2014, look out.
- Nearly finished the Emma Gatrill album too and I’m really proud of how it is sounding.
- Had a great time playing gigs with Rozi Plain and Rachael Dadd too, always a pleasure
- I got to play a bit of trumpet with Animal Magic Tricks at a Brighton show, she’s an incredible songwriter and I’m hopefully working with her on making her next album which I’m very excited about
I’m revisiting this Broken Social Scene album as we speak – an incredible record. I played a few shows with them back in 2010. Here’s a video from one of them – KC Accidental live at Glastonbury.
Peggy Sue have announced that their new album Choir Of Echoes will be released on 27 January 2014 via Wichita Recordings and Yep Roc Records. The guardian have the exclusive first play and some nice words here.
I played various brass instruments on this one, the first single is up for free download or you can stream it above.
I played my last few festivals of the year with Willy Mason at the weekend (many more to come with other bands). It was an absolute joy playing with him (and bandmates Gardner Allen and Raymond Black). You can watch some highlights from our set at Latitude Festival over at BBC 6Music.
Also last week I played a BBC Radio 3 session playing guitar with Bella Hardy. You can listen to that here. I’ve now done sessions for BBC Radio 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6… any suggestions on how to get a Radio 5 Live session would be much appreciated!