To celebrate Piano Day 2021 I’ve released a special version of my track ‘The Warren’ for piano, performed by Katherine Tinker with flute by Helen Whitaker, bass clarinet by Emma Gatrill and trumpet and tenor horn by me.
You can listen on Spotify here.
Here’s the sheet music if you want to play along!
It was, of course, a terrible year for leaving the house. But I managed to contribute to the following records released in 2020, so in hindsight it doesn’t look too bad:
- The Staves & Adam Buxton – A Christmas Song for Joe Cornish which appeared on the Adam & Joe Christmas podcast – engineered, brass, piano
- James Holden, Marcus Hamblett & Mark Holub – BBC Sessions: Live at Maida Vale – electric guitar, cornet
- Modern Nature – Annual – cornet, piano, baritone guitar
- Bear’s Den – Fragments – cornet, synthesizer
- Rachael Dadd (with Rozi Plain & Kate Stables) – We Build Our Houses Well – cornet, electric guitar, synthesizer
- David Thomas Broughton – Live at The Rose Hill – electric guitar, mix
- Damo Suzuki + Echo Ensemble – Live at The Green Door Store – electric guitar
- Rachael Dadd – Live at The Planetarium – electric guitar, cornet, synthesizer
- Villagers – Love Came With All That It Brings – remix, brass, synths, etc
- Marcus Hamblett – Solder Sucker – synths, drum machines, guitar, engineered, mixed, produced etc
- Fear of Men – Into Strangeness – weird noises originating from… a bass guitar?
- Christof van der Ven – Reworks – modular synthesizer
- Bear’s Den – Christmas, Hopefully – brass, synthesizer
- John Seaton – Heavy Metal – trumpet
- Sleeping On Planes – Reckoning of the Damned – brass
- Grip Tight feat. Lizzy Lizzy – Coming Up For Air – remix
- Modern Nature & Friends – Cycles – cornet, vibraphone
- (interactive listening here)
I’ve also already recorded contributions for upcoming releases by The Staves, John Smith, Villagers, Axel Flóvent, MF Tomlinson, Voka Gentle, Deep Throat Choir, Georgia Mooney, Rindert Lammers, Rich Fownes, Anna Westin, Ciaran Lavery, Bess Atwell, Kristin McClement, Emma Gatrill and more, all of which should be released during 2021.
In the words of the great David Thomas Broughton, onwards we trudge…
Very excited that this album has finally been announced. It was an absolute joy to join such talented musicians in the studio, including Etienne Jaumet, Liza Bec, Lascelle Gordon, Camilo Tirado, Tom Page and of course James Holden himself. The album is released on November 3rd via Border Community. I played cornet and will be joining the band for some live shows to be announced shortly.
My debut album has just been announced over at Willkommen Records. It’s released April 20th, 2015. You can stream a track from it below, preorder details etc. are all here.
I’ll be playing an album launch show on March 31st supporting the incredible Stara Rzeka at the Prince Albert. Tommy ‘Tubs’ Heather will be joining on the tubs. All the details are here.
Very, very proud to be a part of the new Hamilton Yarns album, The Orchard. They’re one of my favourite bands and have made loads of fantastic and unique records. I played a bit of synth and guitar. You can hear and buy it here.
I made a remix for Landshapes, it was mostly made in the back of a van on motorways which probably steered me in the krautrock direction.
This is just a quick update about a few things I’ve been working on recently, partly to remind myself:
- recorded some double bass for Fear of Men. Look out for their debut album proper in 2014. Also stood in on bass for them at Simple Things festival in Bristol. They write amazingly catchy perfect pop songs.
- I was honoured to get to contribute to the upcoming record from one of my all time favourite bands, Hamilton Yarns. I played a bit of guitar, vibraphone and synth.
- I’ve been working on the music for two plays by the brilliant playwright Annie Siddons. It’s been a fantastic new challenge for me and an absolute privilege to work with so many talented actors and the director Justin Audibert.
- Not sure what’s going to happen with them, but I’ve really enjoyed working on remixes for the likes of Landshapes, Nick Mulvey and Emiliana Torrini. Some time soon I’m going to put all my remixes online in one place.
- Have nearly finished the new Sons of Noel and Adrian record, I’m exceptionally proud of it. We recently enjoyed an inspiring little tour of Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia which has spurred us on. Ben Hampson is mixing it as we speak.
- I’ve just about finished my first solo album, thanks to a last minute recording session with the exceptional drummer Tom Heather.
- Played a couple of shows with the Moulettes, the God of Hell Fire himself Arthur Brown joined us on stage. Also played on their new record with an absolute all star cast.
- Did a tour with The Mariner’s Children supporting Bear’s Den, they were incredibly fun guys to tour with and I hope to do so again. They’re set for world domination in 2014, look out.
- Nearly finished the Emma Gatrill album too and I’m really proud of how it is sounding.
- Had a great time playing gigs with Rozi Plain and Rachael Dadd too, always a pleasure
- I got to play a bit of trumpet with Animal Magic Tricks at a Brighton show, she’s an incredible songwriter and I’m hopefully working with her on making her next album which I’m very excited about
Peggy Sue have announced that their new album Choir Of Echoes will be released on 27 January 2014 via Wichita Recordings and Yep Roc Records. The guardian have the exclusive first play and some nice words here.
I played various brass instruments on this one, the first single is up for free download or you can stream it above.
I did a remix of the song ‘If No One Else Saw It’ by one of my bands, Eyes & No Eyes. You can stream it from the player above, or download two original tracks and two remixes all for free over at bandcamp.
I played my last few festivals of the year with Willy Mason at the weekend (many more to come with other bands). It was an absolute joy playing with him (and bandmates Gardner Allen and Raymond Black). You can watch some highlights from our set at Latitude Festival over at BBC 6Music.
Also last week I played a BBC Radio 3 session playing guitar with Bella Hardy. You can listen to that here. I’ve now done sessions for BBC Radio 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6… any suggestions on how to get a Radio 5 Live session would be much appreciated!
I’ve been recording a lot with the Moulettes over the last few weeks, the final day of recording was yesterday and it’s been a lot of fun so thanks to them and to Joe Gibb.
Today I’m off to Church Road Recording Co to record some double bass for Fear of Men. Should be fun.